Answer each of the questions clearly and thoroughly, using specific examples from course content to illustrate your points and your understanding of important concepts. You can expect to write at least one and probably two paragraphs (maybe three—but not more than that) for each response. It is open book so my expectations are related to that in terms of how well you can potentially answer questions. Also you have a week to complete it, again, that means you have the opportunity to ask me questions. Remember, this is your opportunity to demonstrate your learning. And be sure to answer the question asked. Most students lose points because they either didn’t answer the question asked or didn’t answer it thoroughly, that is, they didn’t use clear examples to illustrate the point they were making.
- If we make a materialistic assumption about the relationship between the mind and the body, how would we explain the psychological concept of aggression? Include in your response what is emphasized in a materialistic assumption and then specifically how this applies using a specific aggressive behavior. (fundamental assumptions material)
- Provide a compelling argument for or against evidence of humans acting with (or not) free will. Include in your response a clear understanding of the assumption about behavior that you are using (for example, of hard determinism), and then how that applies specifically and explains a behavior you have decided to use as your illustrating example. (fundamental assumptions material)
- Use Freudian theory and one other personality theory to explain the observation that females carry significantly more writing utensils than males. (personality material)
- Choose one of the disorders from class and describe classic or distinctive features of the disorder. Then offer a specific cause for the disorder illustrating your knowledge of a major perspective (e.g. psychodynamic). (abnormal psychology material)
- Based on the scenario presented in the previous question, what treatment might be most effective in treating your chosen disorder (make sure the connection is clear between assumed cause and effective treatment)? Why would this treatment be effective? Which treatment may be least effective? Why might that treatment be ineffective? (treatments material)
- Why is psychology concerned with biology? Be specific in your response and use at least two examples to demonstrate your understanding. (physiological psychology material)
- Create an experiment where you test the relationship between alcohol consumption and aggression. You will identify the following components: independent variable, dependent variable, experimental condition, control condition, hypothesis, random assignment, in your experimental design and then write a paragraph describing how each of these will fit in the experiment. (Research design, chapter 1 material)
- Use one of the dream theories (identify which one you’re using and demonstrate your understanding of the theory) presented in to interpret what possible purpose or meaning the following dream might have. Be sure to apply your chosen theory specifically to the dream, that is, make specific reference to aspects of the dream to support the interpretation you are making which shows you understand the theory.
“I was swimming in a small lake and it was fairly dark outside. There wasn’t anyone else in the water with me when suddenly a large snake came at me. I knew that the snake’s intent was negative towards me so I tried to swim away, but the snake caught up with me and attacked me. I struggled against the snake as it pulled me under the water. Meanwhile, on the beach, a crowd of people had gathered to watch the fight. They cheered for the snake. Then I woke up.” (chapter 2 end-consciousness/sleep material, plus material provided in modules material)